Probate - Fixed Fee Application
We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf, enabling you to collect and distribute the assets. This option may be suitable for you in a straightforward estate with, for example only one or two bank accounts. We would be able to offer this option to you if you are able to provide us with accurate details of the value of the assets and liabilities of the estate.
How Much Does This Service Cost?
Total: Fixed fee of £642.00 (inc VAT)
Breakdown of costs (including disbursements):
- Legal Fees: £400.00
- VAT on Legal Fees: £80.00
- Probate Court Fee of: £155.00
- Swearing of the Oath (per executor): £7.00
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to another organisation, such as court fees. We will handle the payment of the majority of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
As part of our fixed fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and official copies of this to you. The Court fee for additional
- copies of the Grant is 50p per copy
On average, obtaining a Grant of Representation in this way for you can be dealt with within 2 to 3 months. Typically, obtaining the Grant of Probate takes 6 to 8 weeks. Once the Grant of Probate has been obtained, you will be able to produce this to the relevant asset holder to enable you to collect in the funds and distribute these between the beneficiaries.
Potential Additional Costs
- If any additional copies of the Grant are required, they will cost 50p per copy. Usually one copy is required per asset.
- £84.00 to publish in the London Gazette which protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
- £200.00 to publish in a local newspaper which also helps to protect against unexpected claims from unknown creditors. This price is an estimate which will be dependent upon the price provided by the local newspaper.
- Bankruptcy only Land Charges Department searches, £2.00 per beneficiary.
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
If you choose to include these services, the total fees will be £928.50. We will be able to provide you with a more accurate quote once we have had the opportunity to speak with you to obtain additional information.
One final matter …
Our Probate team is made up of two solicitors (one of whom has at least 4 years’ experience and one who qualified in August 2017). The team is supervised by Helen Wood who is a Solicitor. Helen has over 18 years’ experience working in probate having qualified as a Solicitor in 2000.