Data Protection Notice
1. Appleby, Hope & Matthews (“we” or “us”) is a data controller for the purposes of
General Data Protection Regulations and the Data Protection Act 2018 (“the
legislation”) and is registered with the Information Commissioners Office (“ICO”).
2. We will hold personal information about you in connection with the legal work we are
carrying out on your behalf. That might include sensitive information, financial
information, medical information and information about your family and relationships.
3. We will only use your information in connection with the matter with which you have
instructed us and for no other purpose.
4. When you instruct us to act for you, you give us consent to hold and process your
information. Any information that we hold about you will only be shared with third
parties insofar as is necessary for us to comply with your instructions. We may also
be required to share your information where we are permitted to do so in order to
comply with rules imposed by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, HM Revenue &
Customs, or other relevant public bodies.
5. You have the right to be forgotten under the legislation. We retain all files and
personal data for a minimum of 6 years. In the case of instructions relating to Wills,
we keep all files for a period of 80 years. In respect of instructions relating to
children, we keep files until the child is 18 years old. After that period you may
instruct us that you wish to exercise your right to be forgotten and for us to delete
your data. You should make such a request to our Data Protection Officer.
6. You have the right to raise a subject access request. Subject access requests will be
dealt with by our Data Protection Officer but are subject to legal professional privilege
and each case will be dealt with individually.